When choosing the right adult diaper, it’s important to do your research. Although adult care products cannot cure your incontinence, they can assist by providing a more comfortable lifestyle. Some things to keep in mind when choosing a pull up diaper to give you the best experience include:
- Odor-wicking technology
- Size; the right fit
With so many options available, it can be an overwhelming process. That’s why we did the legwork for you! Every person at Parentgving has been a caregiver or has had personal experience with the aging process. We are here to guide you throughout this process making this article is a great place to start. Learn how to find the right fit as well as the top incontinence diapers for elderly on the market that meet our high standards.
When Should You Consider Adult Diapers?
If you've experienced problems with leaking urine or making it to the bathroom in time, then there is a chance you may have incontinence. Incontinence is when there are issues with your muscles and nerves that help the bladder hold and release urine. This is common and typically occurs as you get older.
More than 25 million Americans have some degree of incontinence. Most suffer alone because it takes an average of 5 years for people to even discuss the situation with their healthcare provider. With statistics like these, there are likely loved ones close to you who are suffering as well but don't want to talk about it.
Most cases of incontinence are treatable and easily managed with physical therapy, medication, hygienic products, or a combination. These solutions allow you to live a more comfortable life. The solution we will be breaking down is consumers who are interested in the right fit diapers.
Incontinence diapers for elderly are a great solution for adults struggling with mobility issues. They will help you address your incontinence issues and live a more dignified life. Options for a super absorbent adult diaper come in different types, styles, sizes, purposes, and absorbency to best fit each individual's needs. We also carry the best booster pads for adults.
Adult Pull up Diapers vs. Diapers with Tabs
Adult Pull-up Diapers
Adult pull-up diapers are very similar to regular underwear. They have a unified waistband and two-leg openings. They pull up and down just like regular underwear and come in various sizes and absorbency levels. The main difference between regular underwear and adult diapers is that adult diapers are made to be more absorbent to hold larger amounts of urine. The leak guards and absorbent core are waterproof and can last up to 8 hours.
Ideal User: Active persons experiencing light to heavy incontinence.
Adult Diapers with Tabs
Adult diapers with tabs are similar to pull-ups but include two tabs on either side of the waistline. The tabs are a perfect solution for a caregiving setting. They make it easier to place the brief on a person who is immobile or bedridden, therefore removing the need to sit upright.
Ideal User: Less active persons with physical limitations and heavy to severe absorbency needs.
Choosing the Best Types of Adult Diaper For You
There is a wide variety of products among adult diapers that can help you manage your incontinence symptoms and maintain an active lifestyle.
Choosing which product is right for you depends on:
- The volume of leakage you experience: Diapers come in a wide variety of absorbency and it can be tricky to know where to start. You will need to experiment to find the right fit but we recommend starting with a higher absorbency and then scaling back if needed. It’s much easier to change the type of diaper vs. a costly leak on a mattress, clothes, etc. Additionally, consider when you are going to be wearing the diaper. Overnight diapers are more absorbent.
- The size/shape of your body: This is just as important as absorbency. If the diaper does not fit well, you will experience leakage. It will take some trial and error but you want to make sure the diaper is snug and comfortable around your waist. If it’s too tight, it can cause skin damage and compression leaks. The fit on your legs is also very important. If you have thinner legs, try going down a size and vice versa. Additionally, if you are a side sleeper and are experiencing leaking, we recommend checking your leg fit first.
- Your lifestyle: If you are active and are looking for a discrete diaper to wear throughout the day, try pull-up diapers or depends diapers. If you have a low activity level or spend more time in bed, consider diapers with tabs. For more senior bed products, check out our bed rails.
- The type of incontinence you experience (urinary or fecal): Depending on the use case, you will also want to educate yourself on how often to change the diaper. Check out our underwear for bowel incontinence.
When you purchase incontinence aids at the grocery store or online, they will have sizing charts on the packaging as well as something indicating how much fluid they can absorb (usually a series of 5 or 6 water drops).
Top Adult Diapers for 2024
Here are eight of the best adult diapers as of 2022.
1. Dry Direct Ultimate Protective Underwear – Unisex
Dry Direct Ultimate Protective Underwear is reliable and has a heavy absorbency rate that can hold up to 40 fl oz. or five cups. The use of top-notch materials makes them suitable for almost any type of accident, including materials not adverse to fecal discharges. The full-rise panel around the waist helps in making the fit comfortable and secure and the soft cloth-like fabric on the outer and side layers keeps them extra comfortable. It also houses Kufguards in the inner leg area which reduces leakage, and they have a latex-free exterior that keeps you free from allergies and soothes sensitive skin. Parentgiving uses the highest quality SAP and Fluff in the absorbent core to lock in odors.
- Can hold up to 40fl oz. of incontinence in the heavy absorbency layers
- Comes in five different sizes
- Top-notch cloth-like material in the top panel ensures comfort
- Latex-free and breathable texture makes it suitable for people with sensitive skin
- Leak guards for ensured security
- 100% odor protection
- Made 100% in Italy
2. Dry Direct Super Overnight Underwear
The Super Overnight provides 40 ounces of protection. Moreover, the absorbance is faster than any other brand. It has a sleek and discreet design that traps odor to keep you staying fresh throughout the day. The firm and smooth design of these adult pull-up diapers ensure no sound from crunching
- Helps deal with heavy incontinence due to maximum absorbency
- Odor lock technology that keeps smells at bay
- Comes in four different sizes
- Leak guards to protect against leakage
- Smooth and comfortable fit for prolonged wear
- 100% made in Italy
3. MoliCare Slip Maxi Overnight Adult Brief (Formally MoliCare Super Plus Brief)
MoliCare Slip Maxi Overnight Adult Briefs are designed for maximum absorption and overnight wear. The briefs are made with a soft, breathable material that helps keep skin dry and healthy. The briefs have a contoured shape for a comfortable fit and an adjustable waistband for a customized fit. The MoliCare Slip Maxi Overnight Adult Briefs are available in sizes S-XXL.
- Can be used for extended capacity and overnight use
- Customized fit with an adjustable waistband
- Available in 5 different sizes
- Tape on for extra security
4. Dry Direct Maxi - Overnight Brief
The Dry Direct Maxi is an overnight brief that is designed for maximum absorption. They are tape-on briefs designed for heavy absorbency and can hold over 5 cups of fluid. They are great for sensitive skin and can last up to eight hours.
- Has leak guards and leg gathers for increased leak protection
- A wetness indicator that has printed lines on the outside that fade as wetness reaches the outer core
- PEFC Certified
- 100% Latex free
- 100% made in Italy
5. Seni Super Quatro Briefs
Seni Super Quatro Briefs are designed with an anatomical shape that can easily adjust to any body shape and a vapor-permeable outer layer helps the skin breathe easily. The superabsorbent bonds contain moisture in the core by utilizing an EDS (Extra Dry System) non-woven layer for quick and effective absorption. It minimizes urine odor and the hydrophobic standing side gathers and leg cuffs help to prevent side leakage.
- Easily adjusts to any body type
- Hydrophobic standing side that helps prevent side leakage
- Comes in 5 different sizes
6. Tranquility Premium OverNight Absorbent Underwear
Tranquility Premium OverNight Absorbent Underwear is perfect for all-night comfort and protection thanks to its super-absorbent design. Each Tranquility OverNight brief holds over a quart of liquid and the peach core guarantees skin dryness, odor reduction, and urine pH neutralization. Tranquility briefs are made with a breathable fabric, and a full-rise waist panel, and are latex-, lycra- and spandex-free design. Sizes range from XS to XXL to suit your specific needs.
- Holds over a quart of liquid
- Odor reduction technology
- Urine pH neutralization
- Leak guards for maximum comfort and protection
- Available in 6 different sizes
7. TENA ProSkin Protective Pro Skin Pull Up Underwear
The Tena Proskin Protective Pull Up Underwear is a unisex design that feels like regular underwear due to its soft texture. This diaper uses a polymer technology that acts as the super-absorbent core. You will feel dry and soft for a prolonged period due to the quick-wick surface. There will be no odor or leakage due to its targeted absorption zone. The soft leg elastics in the sides of these adult pull-up diapers help prevent leakage and ensure comfort and the breathable material is infused with airflow technology offering protection that is three times that of other diapers.
- Ensures maximum and quick absorbency due to the polymer core
- Specially designed to fit a male’s body with comfort and optimal security
- Super-absorbent leak lock and elastic leg technology keeps leakage at bay
- Three times breathable due to the soft texture
8. Unique Wellness Absorbent Underwear
Women are twice as vulnerable to incontinence as men.  So, the Unique Wellness Absorbent Underwear adult pull-up diapers ensure a harmonious blend between comfort and protection – both of which women need while facing incontinence. This adult diaper is suitable for women with sensitive skin due to its instant wetness-neutralization ability. The breathable fabric has cloth-like materials that promote healthy skin and comfort. Furthermore, it houses an innovative AirMax layer that wicks away moisture and allows proper ventilation. You will feel cool for prolonged periods, even when you are active. It has leakage protection that will give you a feeling of safety. The fit of this diaper contours your body and helps you deal with heavy incontinence. These leak-proof diapers for adults are available in three sizes so that you can get your fit without worry.
- Offers a proper neutralization of moisture to keep you dry
- Infused with the perfect balance of comfort and protection
- Helps deal with heavy incontinence among women
- Soft and breathable fabric ensures ventilation and suitability for sensitive skin
- Leak guards for optimum protection
How to Put on an Adult Pull-Up Diaper In Five Simple Steps
It can be a challenge to put on adult pull-up diapers if you have mobility issues. Therefore, this guide will take you through the steps involved in putting on an adult diaper:
Step 1: Choosing the Right Size
First and foremost, it's crucial to pick the appropriate size when selecting adult diapers. To prevent leaks, adult diapers should fit snugly against your body with no gaps. It's critical to consider both that and comfort while choosing a size.
Step 2: Unpacking The Pull-Up Diaper
Make sure that you refrain from touching the inside of the diaper while unruffling it. From the diaper’s containment zone, you need to take out the leak guards.
Step 3: Wearing The Pull-Up Diaper
You need to put in one leg after the other and pull it up like wearing pants. However, make sure that the taller side remains in the back.
Step 4: Adjusting The Pull-Up Diaper
After wearing it, you can adjust the diaper to ensure comfort and proper fit. The containment zone should be in direct contact with your body for the odor and leak lock system to be effective.
Step 5: Taking Off the Pull-Up Diaper
When you are done using the adult diaper, simply tear the sides of the diaper and dispose of it in the garbage can. Avoid flushing it down the toilet as it can cause clogging.
Natural Remedies for Incontinence
Although incontinence may be out of your control, some natural remedies can help manage your incontinence like mindsets, and lifestyle recommendations such as:
- Kegel Exercises - These maneuvers help strengthen the muscles in your bladder that hold the urine back. Aside from specific exercises, you can do in the gym, simply "bearing down" and squeezing your pelvic muscles for 4-10 seconds at a time for just 5 minutes a day can begin to have an impact. Improving the strength of your urinary muscles helps you to have more control over the flow of urine.
- Restrict Bathroom Frequency - Train your bladder by developing a urination schedule. Start by urinating every hour and then gradually increase from there, trying to hold off a bit longer between bathroom trips. Your body may slowly become accustomed to anticipating when you’ll have the opportunity to urinate again.
- Be Hygienic - Practicing good hygiene will decrease the risk of urinary tract infections. Women should always wipe front to back to avoid feces contaminating the vaginal area.
- Monitor Your Weight - Obesity can cause increased pressure on the bladder. It also makes it more difficult to get to the bathroom and remove clothing in time to reach the toilet. For more toilet accessories, check out our toilet aid for obese people. Also, be sure to checkout wheelchair for obese person options or wheelchairs that come apart.
- Avoid constipation - Constant straining can weaken the muscles of the bladder as well as the bowel. Eat a diet rich in fiber and let your doctor know if you are not passing your bowels frequently enough or if your stools are hard to pass.
- Don’t keep your symptoms a secret - 1 in 3 people experience incontinence symptoms at some point in their life yet most of them keep it a secret. Yes, it’s embarrassing. But it can be equally frustrating to deal with symptoms alone. Discuss your incontinence with your doctor so they can equip you with the information you need to live with your condition. Do not suffer in silence.
- Avoid foods that irritate the bladder -These include spicy foods, alcohol, caffeine, and foods with high acid content like tomato sauce and citrus fruits...even cranberry juice! Sodas are especially bad because the carbonation irritates the bladder, on top of the caffeine and acidic components.
- Monitor fluid intake - Your body needs a healthy level of hydration to protect your kidneys, produce urine and flush out infections. But, it’s important to know when you’re drinking water more frequently than you need to. Check with your doctor to see how much fluid you should be drinking per day to ensure you’re properly hydrated but not overdoing it.
- Avoid diuretics before bed - Medications that are diuretics cause you to expel water. Avoiding these right before bedtime may keep you out of the bathroom in the middle of the night. Work with your doctor to develop a medication schedule that won’t have you running to the bathroom all night.
Will the Government or Medicaid Pay for My Adult Diapers?
Medicare does not typically cover absorbent products such as adult diapers. Medicare is much more likely to cover other non-absorbent products such as catheters and related products. Either way, even attempting to receive coverage you must receive a physician’s prescription stating what is needed for treatment. It will be up to the state to reconcile out-of-pocket costs.
Are Adult Diapers Right for You?
Incontinence can be prevalent in adults and some youngsters. Adult pull-up diapers are ideal for dealing with the inconvenience. These offer not only protection but also comfort and reliability. Adult diapers are suitable for prolonged use due to their maximum absorbency and leak protection technology. Hence, they are referred to as overnight diapers for adults. The leak-proof diapers will keep you worry-free and ensure a normal life even while dealing with incontinence. Moreover, the diapers are easy to wear and dispose of. With adult pull-up diapers, you can regain your confidence and live a dignified life.
If you have any additional questions or are unsure which option is best for you please call Parentgiving and we will help make sure you find the right adult care products to best fit your lifestyle and needs. Be sure to check out our options for incontinence products for youth.
Incontinence: A Women’s Little Secret – Webmd.com (reviewed by Brunilda Nazario, MD)
Disclaimer: The information presented here is purely for educational purposes and should not be used in place of the advice of your doctor or physician.