Many services are covered under the umbrella of Medicare coverage. It is a very helpful program for so many individuals, but it can be unclear as to whether certain services or necessities are going to be covered. This article will teach you what you must know if you or your loved one needs a lift chair. You will be able to determine if Medicare will cover any of these expenses for you and what you should expect.
Medicare does offer a portal of information on its website to help answer your questions, but this can be complicated to use. Even when you search for the service or necessity that you need, you might still be unclear as to what is covered and what is not. It is best to do your own research by reading articles like this one. You will be certain and confident about what is covered so you do not have to play a guessing game.
Not knowing if you or your loved one is covered by Medicare can cause a lot of stress in your life and a tremendous financial burden if an unexpected expense pops up. Therefore, you should never go forth assuming that something will be covered. While Medicare does boast a very wide range of services, there are always going to be exceptions that you need to make yourself aware of.
There are three main kinds of lift chairs that you can use to assist you if you are disabled. A lift chair is basically designed to help you get from a sitting position into a standing position and vice versa. The three different types are as follows:
Two-Position: This chair is the simplest, and it helps to get you from a 90-degree angle (seated) to an upright position. It can also help you get from a 45-degree angle (reclined) to standing upright. There is one motor involved, and the chair moves in one motion to assist you.
Three-Position: In addition to the same features as the first lift chair, the three-position chair also helps you when you are reclined almost entirely flat. This means that it can help you up from when you are sleeping or just lying down. It is a great chair for resting in, watching TV, and even taking a nap.
Infinite-Position: Naturally, this is the most complex of the three. This chair offers endless positions that operate in a zero-gravity manner. No matter how you are positioned, there are two different motors that will work in harmony to assist you in any other position you are trying to get into.
Long story short, Medicare does cover lift chairs under Part B of your coverage. This is the part that will cover specific needs that are deemed medically necessary. Lift chairs are considered DME (durable medical equipment), so Medicare will cover one if you have a condition such as arthritis or other conditions that affect your balance and mobility. Under any Medicare Advantage plan, a lift chair should be covered.
An instance when your plan will not cover a lift chair is if you are currently living in a nursing home or staying in a hospital. This is the case because they will not deem it medically necessary since you have around-the-clock care by other service providers. However, if you are living in your home right now, the chair will be covered.
Another situation that you must be aware of is that Medicare will not cover the cost of your lift chair if you have already been paid to obtain a scooter or another motorized device to help you with your mobility. This would make the lift chair no longer medically necessary in Medicare’s eyes.
When Medicare says they will cover your lift chair, what this means is that they will cover the motorized device. The fabric, cushion, and other accessories are not going to be covered, even if they are built into the chair. This means that Medicare will pay for about 80% of the chair, leaving you to pay 20% out of pocket. There is the option to apply for a supplemental plan, such as Medigap, to cover these extra costs.
If you need a lift chair, keep in mind that this will be covered under Part B of your Medicare plan, but you will likely need to pay a small portion of the cost. That said, you can prepare adequately by either saving money to pay out of pocket or applying for a supplemental plan that can help you cover the additional money owed.
It is always worthwhile to simply ask Medicare if they will cover it, especially when it is deemed medically necessary in your life. If you are not currently living in a facility or staying in the hospital and have not been given another motorized device under the plan, you should be covered.
This can help you tremendously by taking the additional burden out of your life and by also providing you with more mobility in your daily routine. Think about this option if you have been struggling with mobility and have a condition that limits you in any way. Medicare can be a very helpful option if you simply cannot afford the equipment that you need.