How to Get Rid of Strong Urine Odor in the House
Taking care of others is tough work, especially when it’s an aging loved one. You always want to provide the best care, and sometimes that means cleaning up urinary incontinence accidents. It can be hard to get urine odor out of clothing, furniture, and bedding.
Don’t worry! It’s a common concern with many caregivers. There are several things you can do to get rid of urine odor in the house and make your aging loved one comfortable. We’ll go over everything from odor eliminators to wipes for adults. Take a look at these top 12 ways to eliminate the urine smell from your home home.
Most Common Ways to Reduce Urine Smell
Use Premium Incontinence Products
Having high-quality products with the appropriate fit and absorbency level will help contain any accidents, reducing the potential for odor to spread.
Disposable bed pads: Often referred to as Chux, disposable bed pads are absorbent, waterproof pads that can be put under sheets or on the floor to prevent any urinary incontinence accidents from spreading further around the house. Using a premium product with absorbent filler and wings that tuck under the mattress help to better contain every accident. Just be sure to promptly dispose of used bed pads to keep the odor down.
Adult diapers: While any adult diaper helps with odor, not all diapers are created equal. Instead of opting for a generic brand, premium diaper brands, like Dry Direct, offer better features to contain accidents and odors. For example, select Dry Direct products offer:
- 3x the absorbency of diapers found at brick-and-mortar stores
- A high-performance top sheet that wicks moisture away from your skin
- Tailored fits, leak guards, and leg cuffs designed to reduced leaks
- Super absorbent polymers that trap and deodorize urine smell
Other potential products to help contain urine and odor include:
Start to Clean Up as Soon as You Can
The most effective way to keep urine odor down in the house is to clean it as soon as possible. If urine sits for too long, it stains and leaves an odor that is hard to get out. Keep calm, gather your cleaning supplies (Citrus II Germicidal Cleaner & Deodorizer is great for this), and reassure your loved one that everything is perfectly fine.
Use Odor Eliminating Spray
Odor-eliminating spray is a great and fast way to remove urine odor from the home. However, it’s important to choose a medical-grade odor-eliminating spray that actually gets rid of odor, instead of masking it. Some of the most effective products that can help get rid of the smell of urine in the air include:
- Arm & Hammer Air Freshener Liquid Can
- Hex-On® Odor Antagonist
- m9™ Odor Eliminator
- Holister M9 Odor Eliminator Spray
- CarraScent Odor Eliminator by Medline
- Beaumont Products All Natural Air Freshener
- Medi-aire Biological Odor Eliminator
Soak Up the Urine and Clean Again with Disposable Wipes
Even if it’s just paper towels, it’s best to use disposable cleaning rags to soak up urine, because they can be thrown in the trash and taken out of the house immediately.
After you’ve wiped down everything with paper towels, go back over the area with odor eliminating wipes to sanitize. Thoroughly wipe as many surfaces as you can to get rid of anything you may have missed with paper towels.
Use an Adult Diaper Pail or Disposal System
Instead of using a regular trash can where the smell can spread through the air, there are disposal products designed specifically to lock in odor. Adult diaper pails and disposal systems also offer hands-free use, so you don’t have to worry about further spreading odor or bacteria.
Use Enzymatic Cleaners
Urine contains uric acid crystals. These enzyme products cling to uric acid, destroy it, and then remove the odor. Enzymatic cleaners not only remove urine stains and odor, but it also eliminates odor causing bacteria around the stain. Spray the cleaner on the area and rub until the stain and odor are gone.
Try These Common Home Remedies
Aside from using bleach or white vinegar, you can actually make very powerful odor eliminators at home. Try mixing a cup of peroxide, three tablespoons of baking soda, and a couple drops of dish detergent. Spray the area, allow it to sit for about 20 minutes, and rub the area until the foul smell is eliminated. Be sure to do a small test patch first!
Use Borax and Other Grocery Store Items for Unpleasant Odors in Bedding
To get stubborn odors out of bedding and clothing, try simply mixing equal parts Borax and washing soda. These two ingredients are safe to use in any washing machine and can usually be found at your local grocery store. You can also try mixing in a little white vinegar or apple cider vinegar too.
Additional Tips For Eliminating Urine Odor
Just in case you need more ideas for getting rid of strong urine smells, here are a few additional tips:
- Turn On a Black Light: If you’re really having a hard time finding the source of urine odor, try using a black light. It shows any stains you may have missed. Make sure to mark the spots where there are stains, so you can easily clean them when you turn on the lights.
- Give Essential Oils a Try: If you want something more natural, you can make an odor-eliminating spray at home using essential oils. Mix together a half teaspoon of any essential oil, one teaspoon of vinegar, one teaspoon of baking powder, and 5 five ounces of hydrogen peroxide. Spray your mixture on the area and let it dry.
- Practice Excellent Hygiene: Above all else, it’s important to keep you and your loved one clean. Urine smells especially strong on skin, so be sure to always wash your hands after you’re done cleaning and use gloves when necessary. It’s also extremely important for you to make sure your loved one is clean too. Use disposable wipes for adults to clean any urine off the skin while in between bathing, change their bedding frequently, and never leave them in a used diaper.
- Reach Out to Other Caregivers: There are times when caring for an aging loved one can be overwhelming. Stay connected with friends, family, and other caregivers to get advice on any trouble or concerns you have.
Turn to Parentgiving for the Best Urinary Incontinence Products
We are determined to give you the best products to care for your aging loved ones. We have the best odor-eliminating spray, disposable wipes for adults, adult diapers, and more. Our friendly experts are always standing by to answer any of your questions. Let us transform your aging and caregiving challenges into great products and easy solutions. Additionally, be sure to check out our Air Freshener & Odor Control products.