is often referred to as overactive bladder
, where you have an urgent need to go to the bathroom and may not get there in time, leaking urine. Causes of urge incontinence or overactive bladder
- Neurological disorders such as Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, and strokes
- Damage to the nerves within the bladder
- Nervous system damage
- High urine production caused by high fluid intake, diabetes, or poor kidney function
- Medications that cause a sudden increase in urine production or that require you ingest them with lots of fluids
- Acute urinary tract infections that can mirror urge incontinence
- Bladder abnormalities such as bladder stones or tumors
- Excess consumption of alcohol, caffeine or energy drinks.
- Declining cognitive function associated with aging – where it may be more difficult for your bladder to understand the signals it receives from your brain
Incontinence pads for women offer a minimally invasive solution (as compared to surgery) for both Urge Incontinence and Stress Urinary Incontinence. A good reference for surgical options related to Stress Urinary Incontinence can be found here
. Incontinence pads typically can be worn comfortably inside regular underwear. Incontinence pads for women offer more user flexibility in that the pad can be easily removed after use, and then another pad reinserted – all without the user removing their clothing or undergarments.
As compared to menstrual pads, Incontinence pads for ladies are designed to hold copious amounts of urine without leakage. This is achieved in the manufacturing process where a significant amount of absorbent polymer is sandwiched between a pass through layer (inside layer) and a non-permeable outer layer. The highest rated incontinence pads for women achieve a balance of non-bulky form/shape coupled with super absorbency. An increasing number of diaper/pad/ incontinence manufacturers are touting incontinence pads as a preferred alternative to traditional adult diapers due to lower per unit costs, flexibility in application (pads can be placed closer to the urine origination point), and less residual waste in landfills. Incontinence pads for women are primarily designed for urine incontinence and are NOT designed for fecal incontinence. Some of our most popular incontinence pad brands for women are Poise, Tena, Dignity, and Elyte. At this time, we do not offer reusable incontinence pads for women.