Vision problems can make using the phone difficult, if not impossible. Advances in design include big button telephones that make it much easier to see the numbers and punch them to make calls. Many styles also come with advances for the hearing impaired, like a programmable high-decibel ringer and other sound controls.
Key visual features add to the functionality of big button phones:
- Big buttons are the most obvious advantage of these telephones, and a wide variety of button sizes exist from slightly larger than normal to buttons that are up to one square inch in size.
- Big buttons that are backlit or on an illuminated keypad to make them easier to see. These big button phones, like the Northwestern Bell Enhanced Big Button Cordless Phone, retain a sleek looking design while allowing you to place calls in low light situations.
- An electronic voice that repeats each number as it is dialed so you know you did it correctly, like the Clarity JV-35.
- A high contrast talking caller ID screen with a large font, like the Clarity XLC3.4 Extra Loud Cordless Phone.
- A bright flashing light that goes off when a call comes in, making it less likely to miss calls, and that indicates when a voicemail message is waiting for you.
Big button telephone models include traditional desk or kitchen-mount versions as well as big button cordless phones if you want ease of movement and don’t want to walk to a corded model every time the phone rings. The 4305 GE 6.0 Amplified Cordless Phone with ITAD has an extra large backlit LCD with enlarged numbers to improve readability and a large backlit keypad that makes it easier to dial in numbers day or night.
And there are even big button cell phones that keep you connected away from home, like the Jitterbug and the Clarity-C900 Amplified Big Button Cell Phone. Twice as loud as an ordinary cell phone, the Clarity-C900 offers large touch screen buttons on its slide-out keypad with a big display screen for easy dialing. In case of an emergency, you can get help quickly by pressing the red emergency button, and there’s also a flashing visual ringer and a built-in flashlight.
Look for the right combination of features and convenience to find the most useful big button phone for you.